International Internships are no longer a luxury but a must have on your resume. More and more employers are looking for candidates who have stepped out of their comfort zone and gained experience with a multinational twist. Many exchange programs around the world have proved, true cultural immersion only happens when you are able to live and work as a local.
Our customized internship program gives you the ability to come to South Africa for up to 1 year through our government approved exchange program. Our internship host companies provide opportunities to join their workforces and gain valuable on the job experience.
During our program you will experience growth, not only as a young professional, but also individually as you venture out, expand your horizons and create different perceptions within your newfound network of colleagues and friends.
Programs are a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum of 1 year and can be assessed on a case-by-case basis. With the diversity of the business market in South Africa internship opportunities exist in a variety of fields, below is just to mention a few:
Visa Information: South Africa Cultural Exchange Visa
As a fully-fledged exchange program organization Awesome Travel has the ability to support a visa for international youth to come to South Africa for up to one year through our government approved exchange program. The program is open to current students and recent graduates under the age of 30, from participating countries, to come to South Africa.
All participants will be required to apply at your local South African Embassy for this visa with the supporting documentation provided by Awesome Travel during your application process. Embassy fees are not included in your program fee.
Selection Criteria / Requirements:
- Minimum & Maximum Age: Current students, graduates and young professionals between 19 – 29.
- Work Experience: Any practical work experience is beneficial but not necessary.
- Health and Well Being: You must be aware of the possible physical nature involved with the required daily tasks for your internship program. Certain industries are not desk orientated and involve more active duties. You must be capable of completing such tasks. Some examples are agriculture, hospitality and sports. Should any internship programs require a physical exam or anything out of the ordinary certain paperwork may be requested.
- Medication: All prescribed or personal medication must have necessary documentation with you while on the program. Chronic medication must be bought in the home country prior to arrival in South Africa.
- Language: South Africa has 11 official languages however in the business environment English is the main language for communication. You need to be able to read, write and speak in English.
- Insurance: You must have travel and medical insurance prior to arriving in South Africa.
Internship Breakdown: Pre-Arrival
Application Process and Host Company Matching
Step 1 – You are required to complete our application form with your resume & cover letter, passport copy and profile photo. This is combined with your signed Awesome Travel code of conduct and proof of payment for your non-refundable deposit. These documents are provided to you upon your enquiry, either via our website or email. A placement team member will be in touch with you to review your back ground, skills interests and goals for the program.
Step 2 – After your application is complete our team will reach out to host companies that best fit your profile.
Step 3 – When matched with a host company profile will be sent to you with all the information like work place location, working hours, supervisor details and any additional details related to your internship. You may then go through an interview process with the host company to consider your suitability.
Step 4 – Once everything has been accepted you will receive your program confirmation as well as the balance of your program fee invoice. Supporting documentation required by Awesome Travel include copies of your medical insurance, flight itinerary, police clearance and visa once approved.
Step 5 – Awesome Travel will issue your visa application documentation upon receipt of the balance of payment and requested documents. Visa appointment may now be made.
Step 6 – When your visa is approved and we have received a copy, Awesome Travel will send your arrival & information booklets.
Internship Breakdown: In-Country
One of the keys to a successful program is preparation. At the start of each program in South Africa we host you on a 4-day, 3-night arrival orientation. After being picked up at the airport, you are taken back to your arrival accommodation site owned and operated by us in Cape Town.
Arrival dates are pre-scheduled throughout the year. This ensures all interns arrive on the same day to begin the programs. Orientation consists of a full itinerary that exposes and educates you to South Africa. The culture, languages, traditions and history of the country are all discussed during the week as well as all interns going on pre-arranged tours, arrival information sessions and getting time to spend with other interns from around the world.
During this week, you are with an Awesome Travel team member leading the orientation program. You live in shared student accommodation with other Awesome Travel interns. All meals are included in the orientation program.
Housing during your internship program
During orientation you will be housed in our fully owned student accommodation centre. Known as 91Loop Street, located in the heart of Cape Town CDB, it hosts up to 150 students at any one time with double, 4 and 6 sleeper rooms to choose from. All rooms are en-suite.
There is an efficient house keeping team, front desk team and security is staffed 24 hours a day. The common area has a full deli and café that serves meals and beverages. You have access to all the great activities the City has to offer as well as Cape Town’s greatest art galleries, restaurants and bars all located within walking distance of the property.
Every night there is a different activity or social event that takes place in the common area, from wine tasting with local experts to craft markets and games nights.
Balance of your program housing
After orientation you will have the option of deciding on your accommodation setup.
You can either extend at our student housing [91 Loop] including shared accommodation, breakfast and dinner OR source your own alternate accommodation.
The average budgeted amounts for independent accommodation in Cape Town are:
Shared Apartment / Flat: between USD $550 – USD $800 monthly
Food & Entertainment: between USD $300 – USD $650
What is included?
- Visa sponsorship and application assistance
- Internship placement at host company
- Option to extend your accommodation at 91Loop
- Full back up support from Awesome Travel while in South Africa
- For out of city placements we provide assistance with sourcing housing options
- Orientation Week:
- Airport pick up
- Dorm room accommodation at 91 Loop
- Tours during orientation
- 3 meals a day during orientation program
- SIM card
- Internship Duration: if assisted through Awesome Travel
- Shared student accommodation at 91Loop including breakfast [city placement]
- Daily food allowance for in-house restaurant meal [city placement]
What is NOT included?
- Medical & Travel Insurance
- Return Flights
- Daily logistics i.e. transportation between host company and accommodation
- Additional meals i.e. lunch during placement
- Spending of a personal nature
- Accommodation after orientation. You have the option to either extend within the hostel at a set rate for remainder of the program OR source your own solution at your own expense