Over the past few years we have come to realise the power and impact a group of goal driven volunteers can have on projects. It is not always easy for a group to get together and travel together and this program is ideally designed for a group of volunteers who are actually individuals or maybe 1 or 2 friends that would like to join a group made up of like-minded young people from around the world.
The program runs for 4 weeks in July till August. We have established a couple of different projects for the groups to work on during their stay in South Africa. The work aspect of the project takes place during the week from Monday to Friday. Fun and interesting group activities are arranged for evenings and over weekends. This will afford plenty of opportunity to see more of the country during the program period. This program is definitely an opportunity for all volunteers to have a once in a lifetime experience. Volunteers will not only volunteer at 1 project, but will be given the opportunity to make a difference at numerous projects during their 4 week program. These projects range from adoption homes, orphanages, social welfare and redevelopment schemes to wildlife!
Each year we work with great projects that benefit from the involvement of volunteers during the 4 week program duration. The first 3 weeks of the projects have a main focus on social issues like children, feeding programs, redevelopment and education and the fourth project will involve wildlife conservation. Each day, volunteers will spend around 9 hours at the projects and then in the afternoon return to the volunteer accommodation to relax and have a fun evening together.
What can volunteers expect to do?
There are a range of activities that volunteers will be involved in. These include but are not limited to:
- Interactive activities with children
- Painting and beautifying of project facilities
- General maintenance of orphanages
- Assistance on vegetable gardens
- Tracking and monitoring of animal populations
- Invoking anti-poaching techniques for rhino and elephant populations
- Clearing bush and repairing roads
- Working with wildlife on a conservation basis
What can you expect in terms of accommodation and food?
The group will be accommodated at a shared accommodations (dormitory style) guest house in a very trendy suburb of Johannesburg. The guest house has a great communal area and beautiful garden.
All meals will be prepared for the volunteers with packed lunches to take with to the project each day. Transport to and from the project will be provided on a daily basis.
A team supervisor will be assigned to the group and will work alongside the volunteers at the project. After a busy day at the project, volunteers will return to the guest house to relax, socialize and share a drink at the bar. Alternatively, volunteers could go to the mall which is located 5 minutes’ walk away.
Volunteers will definitely enjoy the afternoon braai’s (barbeque) and fun activities that will be offered on the property. For the wildlife volunteering part of the program, volunteers will be accommodated at the game park.
The accommodation is very comfortable and of a good standard and all meals will be provided by the project
What sort of down time activities are offered?
Volunteers will participate in pre-arranged outings and activities that will run on weekends by our professional tour guides such as the Soweto tour, Mandela house, cultural village, Kruger tours etc.
What characteristic traits are we looking for in a volunteer?
Friendly, enthusiastic individuals who regard themselves as team players will be ideal for this program. Those who are interested in a fun and diverse experience of a lifetime will not be disappointed.
What is included?
- Meet and greet at airport including transfers to and from the airport
- Arrivals pack, with volunteer T-shirt, handbook and cell phone sim card
- Entrance fees for excursions included in the program
- Accommodation and meals for the full duration of the program
- 3 meals a day prepared for volunteers
- All transport and equipment needed during the duration of the program
- Full back up support during the program
- A weekend Kruger Park Trip including the Panoramic Route
- More fun than any one person can handle…..
What is not included?
- Return flights to South Africa
- Personal medical insurance
- Alcoholic drinks (soft drinks will be available to volunteers during meal time)
- Any personal items needed